Buying Property Guide
Add your name to the collection.
Authentic Italian recipes for you to enjoy.
Enjoy photos of Italy, wine making & more.
Proverbs in Italian & English.
Weekly column dedicated to today's Italy.
by Francesca Di Meglio
Articles on growing up Italian.
by Cookie Curci
Una Mamma Italiana
Articles for Italian mammas.
by Tiffany Longo
Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
Test your knowledge of Italy.
|Braciole di Manzo
|Recipe contributed by Joe Barracato
|Region Recipe is From: Southern Italy
- 1 pound boneless beef top round, trimmed of fat or 1-2 pounds of flank steak and cut into 4 thin slices
- 1 1/2 cups stale bread cubes soaked in 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, chopped
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 ounce slice of provolone cheese cut into 4 equal pieces. As an alternative grate 2 ounces of parmesan cheese and add to bread mix
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 or 4 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (optional since the prosciutto adds salt)
|While bread is soaking, place the meat slices between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and gently pound with a meat mallet until they are 1/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Squeeze milk from bread cubes, discard milk. Add chopped garlic, pine nuts, currants and parsley to the bread and combine well. Lay a slice of prosciutto and a piece of cheese on each flat piece of beef. Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the bread mix on to the beef. Roll up the slices, tucking in the ends. Tie the rolls at 1-inch intervals with kitchen string. In a large skillet, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the beef rolls and cook, turning as needed, until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes. Add your favorite tomato sauce to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the browned beef rolls to the pot. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, turning the rolls occasionally, until the beef is tender when pierced with a knife, about 2 hours. Add basil evenly over the rolls, and cook for 2 minutes longer. Transfer to warmed, individual plates, spooning the sauce over the top, and serve at once. Serves 4.
Submit a Recipe
Print This Recipe
Shirts & Novelties
Proudly display the colors of Italy with these great products.
Huge selection of Italian charms and jewelry.
The world largest online retailer for Premium Italian Fashions.
Fine gourmet foods and more.
Customize your trip to Italy.