Buying Property Guide
Add your name to the collection.
Authentic Italian recipes for you to enjoy.
Enjoy photos of Italy, wine making & more.
Proverbs in Italian & English.
Weekly column dedicated to today's Italy.
by Francesca Di Meglio
Articles on growing up Italian.
by Cookie Curci
Una Mamma Italiana
Articles for Italian mammas.
by Tiffany Longo
Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
Test your knowledge of Italy.
|Recipe contributed by Holli DeLauro
- 20 – 24 lemons (I feel well washed, organic are best to avoid any chemical taste)
- 2 bottles vodka - 750 ml EACH (* or 151 – 190 proof grain alcohol)
- 7 cups water
- 5 cups sugar
- Carefully peel just the zest off of the lemons; try not to get any white pith. Place lemon zest into a large glass container.
- Pour vodka (*or alcohol) over lemon zest; cover and allow to rest at room temperature anywhere from 4 days to a month (I leave mine ~3 weeks). No stirring is necessary, but I stir gently or swish container every few days or so.
- After steeping lemon zest for the desired amount of time you are going to add the water and sugar in a large saucepan and stir over medium low heat until all sugar has dissolved and it becomes clear about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely; pour over lemon mixture and allow to rest anywhere from 1 day to a week (I leave mine ~4 days).
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve. Discard lemon zest. Bottle and store in refrigerator. It is best served very chilled.
* You may use either vodka or grain alcohol, but grain gives you more of an astringent 'alcohol-y' taste, where our family likes more of a strong lemon taste.
Submit a Recipe
Print This Recipe
Shirts & Novelties
Proudly display the colors of Italy with these great products.
Huge selection of Italian charms and jewelry.
The world largest online retailer for Premium Italian Fashions.
Fine gourmet foods and more.
Customize your trip to Italy.