Buying Property Guide
Add your name to the collection.
Authentic Italian recipes for you to enjoy.
Enjoy photos of Italy, wine making & more.
Proverbs in Italian & English.
Weekly column dedicated to today's Italy.
by Francesca Di Meglio
Articles on growing up Italian.
by Cookie Curci
Una Mamma Italiana
Articles for Italian mammas.
by Tiffany Longo
Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
Test your knowledge of Italy.
|Recipe contributed by Holli DeLauro
- 2 pounds beef shank (or chuck or stewing beef)
- 1 head of garlic
- 3/4 oz (1 1/2 tablespoons) WHOLE peppercorns
- Salt, preferably rough sea salt, to taste
- 1 bottle red wine, preferably Chianti
Cut the beef into large chunks, about 1 1/2 - 2 inch cubes. Lay the beef chunks into the bottom of a terracotta pot (or whatever vessel you're using) and randomly insert the garlic cloves among the beef chunks here and there. Sprinkle the whole peppercorns and salt over everything. Pour over enough red wine to cover the beef. Cover the pot and place in a 325°F for 4 hours or more, until the beef is falling apart tender and the red wine has reduced into a rich sauce. If the dish is still too liquid and you're ready to eat, remove the cover, which will allow it to reduce more quickly.
- A terracotta pot with a cover is best used to obtain traditional flavor, but any oven-proof Dutch oven with a lid would work.
- Traditionally this dish is served with beans and/or sautéed greens and Tuscan bread, but modern cooks are serving it with polenta or even mashed potatoes.
Submit a Recipe
Print This Recipe
Photo copyright © Holli DeLauro. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Shirts & Novelties
Proudly display the colors of Italy with these great products.
The world largest online retailer for Premium Italian Fashions.
Customize your trip to Italy.