Art, Cuisine, Famous Italians, Festivals, Folklore, Genealogy, Holidays, Hotels, Photos, Real Estate, Sports, Travel and More
Add your name to the collection.
Authentic Italian recipes for you to enjoy.
Enjoy photos of Italy, wine making & more.
Proverbs in Italian & English.
Weekly column dedicated to today's Italy.
by Francesca Di Meglio
Articles on growing up Italian.
by Cookie Curci
Una Mamma Italiana
Articles for Italian mammas.
by Tiffany Longo
Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
Test your knowledge of Italy.
5 Ways to Woo Your Lover Italian-Style
Get tips by observing on how to put the zip into your relationship
The Italians are a passionate people. They do everything big – from fighting to loving. As a result, we can all learn a thing or two from them. Since Valentine's Day is the perfect time to take stock of your relationship, you might want to take a few cues from the Italians about how to court your lover – and make a great impression. Here are 5 ways to woo your lover Italian-style:
5. Use the Italian language. You can share your feelings in Italian. For example, you could say ti amo, which means, "I love you," but is the phrase reserved only for your lover. (You would tell friends and family the phrase, "Ti voglio bene" instead.) You could also use other phrases, such as ciao (hello/good-bye), ti voglio ("I want you"), or Sei mio Tesoro ("You are my treasure"). Resisting someone speaking one of the romance languages, particularly Italian, is hard to do.
4. Feed your lover. Food is a major part of the Italian lifestyle. Because you feed the ones you love, you can express your feelings with a fabulous dinner. Whether you cook it yourself (which is most appreciated by the Italians) or go out to a lovely restaurant, you will be approaching love Italian-style because Italians truly reach each other's hearts through their stomachs. My theory is that this all goes back to their sainted mothers, who spent hours upon hours creating elaborate, homemade (from scratch) meals for the family. Because Italians associate food with the love and nurturing of a mother, they get all warm and fuzzy inside whenever breaking bread with someone special for a special meal.
3. Drink your love. Just as food is important so is drink. There are two super liquids that unite the whole of Italy – espresso and wine. For a daytime dalliance with your lover, you might stop for espresso either before or after. It might even just happen after you encounter one another on the street in a rather impromptu situation. Then, you will stand (not sit) at a counter with one another, sip your espresso and chat each other up. In the evening, you're more likely to get a test of the wine. To really impress an Italian, you'll know a lot about the wine you're drinking and pair it well with food. You might also drink apperitivi or cocktails designed to work up an appetite before dinner. Often, those pubs provide you with delectable antipasto, little bites of heaven, along with whatever drink you order. Going for these apperitivi is also a chance to see and be seen.
2. Offer baci and abbracci. Kisses and hugs – and touching in general – is a vital part of a successful relationship. The Italians, especially the southern Italians, are affectionate, especially with their significant others. To woo your partner Italian-style, you can add extra doses of kisses and hugs and make sure to take on activities like making out on the couch, hand holding, and giving each other massages.
1. Fit into the family. Italians are all about family. If their families don't like you, they won't like you. So, do whatever you can to ingratiate the Italian family. Yes, mamma will usually be important but so will fathers. Being yourself and treating each other kindly will go a long way to make their relationship work better.
Partner Links Shops/Stores Italiansrus Gear
Proudly display the colors of Italy with these great products.
The world largest online retailer for Premium Italian Fashions.